Re: [edlug] pcmcia tv cards

Well, until I can convince my gf to convert this is going to be in WindowsXP, not Linux, although if Knoppix can do it, then that would be great.

me

On 6 Jan 2004, at 5:30 pm, sxw@xxx.xxx.xxx wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Alex Wasserman wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has seen something that can give a tv signal
from a laptop, given that tv-out is not builtin. Something like a
pcmcia card. It doesn't need to do anything special, just be able to
play DVDs on the laptop and display them on a TV with SCART input.

Any ideas?

The easiest way to do it is probably with an external scan converter (also
called down converters). These will take a {S,X,}VGA signal in, and give
you a PAL video feed out. You get what you pay for though, and good
converters are not particularly cheap - try a Google search to get an idea
of suppliers and prices.

[ In the bad olde days, before video projectors had SVGA inputs,
  everything (sources, mixers, etc) would run on composite video. Scan
  converters were essential to making the fancy demo appear on the huge
  video screen at the sales conference ]

Holdan Limited (http://www.holdan.co.uk) sell a PCMCIA based converters,
but I don't know if you'd have much luck controlling them from Linux.

You can, allegedly, achieve similar results without an converter at all,
see http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html. However, you might not be able
(or want!) to drive your TV/laptop in this way.

Cheers,

Simon.

-

--
Alex Wasserman

There must be more to life than having everything.
                -- Maurice Sendak

-